Sands of Time Reboot

Emperor Roland

Hey all,

I know many of you have been wondering what has been going on with Roland.  Well the last two years have seen many changes in my life.  I had double heart bypass surgery.  I had the privilege of being with my mother and caring for her during the last year of her life, then i had to move as i am not the caretaker for my father.  whew.... even typing it out made me tired.  lol.  anyways, the good news is that, for now, things have clamed enough to where i have  been able to start writing again.

With that in mind, I have decided to re-write Sands of Time.  After the events in Kandric, and in Crags, it made sense to re-write the story.  plus there were several parts that I was not happy with.  very shortly the original Sands will be removed from the site, and shortly after that, the new Sands will start to be posted.

Please understand, this is a complete re-write.  some of the original characters were changed, as well the situations.  please do  not think you will see the same type of story, or the same storylines.  I truly hope you all enjoy the new story, and please use this forum to comment on the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was (am) surprised..when I saw Sands 2. and not. I am quite fond of Sands 1. but given the story of Kyle's Crags it's maybe for the best.

I think time travel will be part of it because if you read Kandric right mr. Pyro Thermal was eons old and part responsible for the Sand Dragon's fall. The characters should give Kandric a little more respect, that way they live a bit longer..😄

20 hours ago, Zergrinch said:

Pfft, that dirty good-for-nothing halfer from the middle of nowhere?

2 hours ago, Emperor Roland said:

Don’t forget…. He’s just a kid!  

This has the same energy as that Monty Python skit where they think the Bunny is harmless before they go off to fight it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little disappointed that the old Sands of Time was dropped and is rewritten. It happened before with Nightfall, and I simply couldn't warm up with the changed characters so I stopped following the story.

I'm really afraid something similar will happen here.

Simply speaking, there are some severe changes to characters I liked before, and I'm not convinced the changes are for the good.

On 12/3/2021 at 12:18 AM, Zergrinch said:

But it's nice to have nice fluffy bunnies. Surely not everything in the world must be mercilessly ground into the dust until they die or become stronger. Surely, there are good people with kind hearts out there!

Surely... 😅

You may call him Shirley... Fact is, you can call him most anything, even late for supper!

• 2 weeks later...

There is a lot of mention of some "Oden" guy. I would like to confirm if this should be Odin (the Norse god) or it's really Oden, a type of Japanese stew?

Second, there's reference to horde when referring to a dragon's stash. I believe this should be "hoard" instead, since a horde is a group of people. I don't suggest a find and replace since there's an earlier passage where it was correctly referring to a bunch of zombies.

Screenshot_20211226-084200.png

Screenshot_20211226-085439.png

Screenshot_20211226-080106813.jpg

I believe the spelling of Oden is to actually distinguish the name3 of the Highman King from the god Odin, although I have also noticed that this seems to be almost interchangeable, as it has been spelled Odin in Kandric.  Could just be a typo, like hoard and horde.

On 12/26/2021 at 3:19 AM, Zergrinch said:

There is a lot of mention of some "Oden" guy. I would like to confirm if this should be Odin (the Norse god) or it's really Oden, a type of Japanese stew?

In this case, Oden, and Odin, do refer to the same mythical being who was the first Highman King.  Translations from that long lost time use both spellings.  Why is unknown, at this point.  

(that’s the official story that we are sticking with)

• 2 months later...

A question just popped into my head when reading the last chapter. We've known now for a while that animal adepts can hear, see and smell through their pets (if they know of that ability at least). We've even seen Aster take over his pets abilities in the Kandric Saga. Now it was mentioned in the last chapter that the Kulkodar Bruin might be trainable. If it turns out he is, does that mean Madelyn has access to the magic of his field. I mean, if Bruin has some type of magic casting ability, Madelyn could be able to toss spells as well at some point?

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The first book can be viewed on the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160814025807/http://www.castleroland.net/library/chapter/roland/sot/sot_pro

Book 2 was never complete, but reached approximately 17-18 chapters. It was a little too fluffy for Roland and/or Kyle's taste, I guess, since essentially Xavier and Company were setting up their own nice little mansion in Junsac where everyone was equal and treated well, by then.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 8:22 AM, Zergrinch said:

The first book can be viewed on the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160814025807/http://www.castleroland.net/library/chapter/roland/sot/sot_pro

Book 2 was never complete, but reached approximately 17-18 chapters. It was a little too fluffy for Roland and/or Kyle's taste, I guess, since essentially Xavier and Company were setting up their own nice little mansion in Junsac where everyone was equal and treated well, by then.

I can feel Vondum scowl across time and space at the very idea of everyone being treated equal lol. 

It is too bad that both stories are pretty much dead we are lucky to get a chapter a year at the moment if we get that.

But we can always hope, there was chapters ready of another kyle aaron story that were ready to be added and have not been posted yet in 9 months so there could be other stories chapters ready and stuck at editor that we do not know about.

6 minutes ago, Wizard said:

It is too bad that both stories are pretty much dead we are lucky to get a chapter a year at the moment if we get that.

But we can always hope, there was chapters ready of another kyle aaron story that were ready to be added and have not been posted yet in 9 months so there could be other stories chapters ready and stuck at editor that we do not know about.

They're definitely not dead. Kyle's been working on these stories for literal decades, and in the case of Kandric the "chapters" are whole novels in and of themselves. The next chapter will come, and knowing Kyle it'll probably be even longer than the last post. Where online inactivity would mean it's dead for basically any other online writer, for Kyle I say he has the track record to trust that it will come. 

Eventually.