Complete or not complete? That is the question...

Adam

Dear Adam and Billy, I totally empathize with the both of you, but in the greater rhelm of things, you both created and promulgate the issue at hand, incomplete stories posted on this site. As an author of some repute, and one to be totally admired, I wonder if Adam submits a story a chapter at a time, or if he does as I do and only submits a completed story to be posted at the VOLUNTEER staff's discretion. I hate to tell you this Adam, but not all writers are as diligent as we are.  There are all kinds of disruptions in people's lives that create these unfinished masterpieces on EVERY story website that I have explored over the last twenty or thirty years. I learned early to wait until I saw the words; THE END at the last chapter posted before I even started reading the preceding chapters. Yes, I sometimes had to wait quite a while before getting to read a story, but the anticipation was better than the disappointment when the story never got finished !! Take that as a lesson to all you younger writers. finish what you started before sending in a story to be posted, you'll have the peace of mind to work on your next story while the completed one gets posted. Hopefully you will garner a cadre of readers who will make a few suggestions for your next story and it does give you the chance to re-read you completed manuscript to search out mistakes you made and correct them, I once submitted a story to a couple of sites and both sites posted a chapter that I had made an error in, I had unconsciously changed a lead character's name through an entire chapter and three editors and myself did not catch it before the darn thing was posted.  Of course there is one gripe  in one of the reply's that I took great offense to, and that was someone complaining about, and that was that this reader did not know of the untimely death of D.J.Thomas last year. On every story site his work was posted on a tribute of some sort was posted, and on some of the sites there is a section on their home page to give access to the stories inactive writers had posted in the past.  This only makes me madder. Why do some readers of the story sites not take the time to explore all the site has to offer?? Is the screen on your Ipad too small? Are you only reading on your cell phone? If you do not have access to a full sized monitor why not stop in at your local library and sit at one of the computers provided for the public?? Explore with the mouse all the access points on the home pages, honest, you will not break anything ! Get to know the sites you spend your leisure time on.  With everything going on in the world today these may seem like petty annoyances to some, but over the years I have heard these complaints over and over again, ENOUGH  ALL READY, it's time for mew to get to the shelter and help the dinner staff clean up. Please stay safe and follow the guidelines. Art West

On 4/30/2020 at 6:13 PM, Art West said:

Dear Adam and Billy, I totally empathize with the both of you, but in the greater rhelm of things, you both created and promulgate the issue at hand, incomplete stories posted on this site.

guidelines? what guidelines? Although your suggestion concerning write the whole story before posting is a good one, you have no control over any of this issue except to not read anything I write, if I ever write again.  I'm sorry if you thought I write for yours  or anyone else's pleasure, I don't. And if I have been battling health issues and may never finish Fields of Love, so be it. I have no problem whatsoever having the Admins here to remove that story from the site so your feelings aren't hurt by my inability to continue. However, what I dislike the most is people that like to complain and complain over and over and over again over shit that's fucking free!

Talo,

As an author with a story on the Castle, let me tell you. My story wound up averaging one year per chapter. The first ten took about 18 months. The last 5 took over ten years. I knew where I wanted the story to go, but getting it there was not so easy. I challenge you to try and write something worthy of the Castle. See how long it takes you to get 15 or twenty chapters in a cogent order.

Curt

First, to try to make one thing clear: my suggestion was about labelling. In process/progress indicating being written, which doesn't differentiate stories complete and being serialised. That was it, and there was a bit of a heated debate around authors not finishing stories. My opinion on incomplete stories or years between chapters is simply to read it when it's finished, but it is nice to know what the status is before reading the latest posted stories.

Second, I have written something worthy of the Castle, but I don't think they want it or me. It took me around a year to write and edit 22k words, a novella, I was writing something else at the same time. In the last six months I wrote another 24k novella which is being edited now. If you want to see my first book, you will find it here: https://www.abctales.com/story/talo-segura/milo and a few other places.

You know Talo you can check yourself how often a story is posted and when was the last time it was posted there is a DATE at the start of every chapters so check a few chapters and you will see how often they are posted for yourself.  I did suggest before for an author that we checked and we found out he had died (D.J. Thomas)

So maybe you will find authors that have not posted in a long time yourself and then let us know so someone can try to get in touch with the author and find out more.

So there is actually no need to change how it works since you can still find the information for yourself, so instead of saying the staff is LAZY you do your own homework by not being the lazy one because this site has a lot more information that other sites you can read stories on to begin with (date posted of each chapter, a synopsis of the stories, if they are complete on hold or in process which is a lot more than most sites have) 

6 hours ago, Wizard said:

... so instead of saying the staff is LAZY you do your own homework by not being the lazy one because this site has a lot more information that other sites you can read stories on to begin with (date posted of each chapter, a synopsis of the stories, if they are complete on hold or in process which is a lot more than most sites have) 

I apologise for calling the staff lazy, it was wrong and I regret that.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We have updated some of the library pages(Stories by Title) and author stories to show the current status of them. If they have been completed the status will show 'complete', if they are still in progress it will show the date last updated i.e. '16th Sep 2017', likewise if they are on hold at the authors request the status will show as 'hold' and if they have been abandoned the status will, show as  'abandoned''.

I hope that it helps those of you who have been querying the status of various stories.

• 6 months later...