Cinnamon Spice Waffles

ken barber

This is a recipe I have developed over time and is loved by my family and friends. When ever I do a brunch at home someone inevitably asks me to make these. Just be warned if you make these for your family and friends you will find yourself investing in more waffle irons to keep up with the demand.

let me know if you try it and how it comes out. 

INGREDIENTS
Dry Ingredients:
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 cup sugar
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground  Nutmeg
1 tablespoon of orange zest
Non-Dry Ingredients
2 eggs
1⁄2 cup vegetable oil. (if you use butter use about 2/3 a cup and melt it first. The waffles still wont be as crispy on the outside but the taste is really nice)
2 cups milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
DIRECTIONS
Oil the waffle maker.
mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
In a second bowl, separate egg whites and beat until frothy
In a in a third large bowl, mix together the egg yolks, milk, oil , and vanilla, stir slightly. (use a decent size bowl everything will end up here)
Add to dry ingredients and mix well.
Fold in egg whites.
Cook in hot waffle iron on medium-high heat for around 5-10 minutes. (I use a classic soup ladle and go about a scoop and half per waffle. )
Let waffle iron get hot again between waffles, 
Reoil the Waffle Iron before each waffle (I use spray cooking oil its nice and easy and coats evenly)

Notes. Once you have made them play with the spices a little to taste. 
I go a little heavy on the nutmeg and light on the orange zest. So like 1 ¼ teaspoons nutmeg an ½ tablespoon orange zest. I have also replaced the orange zest with 2 teaspoons ginger and really enjoyed that. 

On 7/6/2018 at 7:01 PM, Al Norris said:

That sounds soooo good! Can't wait to try it.

They are my favorites. You will love them. I will sometimes simmer some real maple syrup with Grand Marnier and serve it over the waffles. I use about 1 ounce of liquor to one cup of syrup. For those no drinkers if you heat the syrup up to just shy of a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer while you are making the waffles you will cook out the alcohol. Just don't over heat or you will have a very difficult mess to clean.