Metamorphosis

Zach Caldwell

[Special Note: The new website is now live. As a result the links throughout this thread are invalid except for the latest posting to the thread. All of Multimapper stories can now be found at MultiMapper]

Well just read the latest chapter of Metamorphosis. It left me scratching my head a bit. Some new people have shown up and I have gotten the impression that these folks are from or based off characters from other stories. Will be interesting getting to know them.

Things are heating up folks, if you have not done so yet, rush on over and check out Metamorphosis.

Edited by Zach Caldwell
Link website notification

Let me see if I can remember all of them:

Wil Hale and Todd Clements are from "Spider"

Benjamin Stone and Dr. Clifton Grant are from "Spider"

Marc Stone and Galen Anderson are from "Holiday Handoff"

Mona Brideson and Allen Thompson are from "One Door Closes"

Marlon and Kara are from "A Halloween Happening"

Marc Stone is Benjamin Stone's cousin and Wil Hale's uncle.

Mona Brideson is Allen Thompson's adoptive mother and Wil and Todd's former employer.

Allen is Marc's fromer supervisor.

I didn't remember them all, I had to peek. 

Having followed MM's stories, I was thrilled to see their RU counterparts!

Multimapper, I know I don't say this often enough, I simply love your writing!! And I'm happy to see you writing in the RU. So happy, in fact, that I surprised both Mary and Roland (they were, like, WTF Al! Where'd that come from?), when I (experimentally) included the Traditional RU Header to your latest chapter. I hope you liked that little editorial touch [snicker].

What did I like? Um, the jailbreak and the last scene.... Hello Miss Mary Jane!

OK, the stuff in the middle was also good. Actually, there was way too much to touch upon in a single post. If I really said what I liked, everyone else would be, TL;DR.....

Chill dudes! This is short for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Metamorphosis follows the adventures of several people as they flee the ravages of a war that is coming. They are people who see the writing on the wall, and try to get out. They find themselves having to trust people they really don't know. But putting their lives into people's hands they have never met face to face is just the prelude to situations much bigger than they ever imagined. In uncertain times, those few who have already walked through the fire must lead the way.

Chapters 1 - 18 are posted, head on over and check them out. http://www.castleroland.net/library/author/multimapper

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter 1 - The Writing on the Wall

During what seemed to be one of the longest schooldays ever, a 17 year old boy had been concerned with the polarizing political events of the past days. On top of worrying about the bills that needed to be paid and the general anxiety he always felt when he was away from his family, he also needed to figure out what to make for dinner that his brother 'would' eat and his grandmother 'could' eat. He knew that the cupboards were nearly bare and that he would have to detour from his usual route home to go to the grocery store.

Later, he would look back on this day and marvel at his good fortune.

Chapter 2 - Blood and Devotion

After his best online friend, who also happened to be his cousin, had died, it took a while for Ben to open his heart to his other cousin, Zane. But they finally did talk, just a little at first, but more and more over time. If Ben hadn't been told by Kennon what a monster his grandfather could be, he would have thought Zane's story to be an elaborate fantasy, constructed to garner pity from the unsuspecting.

But Ben knew that every word Zane had told him was true. And this was the day that Ben would finally be able to get him to someplace safe.

Chapter 3 - Dizzy

A young genius develops a Virtual Intelligence named Dizzy, in part, to prove to the world, and to himself, that just because he couldn't walk, that he DID have some worth of his own.

Chapter 4 - Emigre

Bug and his group have been promised a safe escape from what looks to be a potentially bad situation. The biggest problem is, none of them know for sure if they are going to be better off where they're going... wherever that is.

Chapter 5 - Want and Need

Ben and Zane's group seem to have the same concerns that Bug did, not knowing if they are making a mistake by trusting a person who they really have no choice but to trust. All that they're sure of is that they 'have' jumped out of the frying pan...

Chapter 6 - A New Dawn Closes

Bug and Ben's groups are now traveling together. That's probably a good thing... or maybe a bad one. Only one way to find out.

Chapter 7 - The Great Egress

Finally, everyone is meeting in one place at one time. Maybe we'll all be let in on what their plans are... assuming that there are any...

Chapter 8 - The Icing

Preparations are being made to attend to the needs of the 'refugees' who will soon be arriving. With the backing of his family, it seems that Carson will be able to provide help to all those who need it.

Chapter 9 - Paper Lace

After losing his mission, then having to say goodbye to his son, after just meeting him, Father Doherty closes the doors on his old life and prepares to start anew.

Chapter 10 - War Mode

After scrambling to get out of Orlando and Chicago, everyone is doing their best to settle in and calm themselves... unfortunately, 'calm' doesn't seem to be on the menu today.

Chapter 11 - 25 or 6 to 4

So, we're back to Father Doherty in Chicago... with priests and cops. For some reason, I can't come up with any way that something pleasant is going to come from this combination.

Chapter 12 - Pupae

Carson and his crew saw something that they were never meant to see. Although, it's important for them to be careful with their actions and reactions, the fact of the matter is that it may already be too late to worry about it, the genie is already out of the bottle.

Chapter 13 - All That Jazz

So, it looks like Father Doherty and the people from his new mission may be taking a sudden trip, much like Bug and Ben's groups did, but this time, without Carson and KF Transport to ease the way.

Chapter 14 - Awakening

It looks like it's dinnertime with all the Kettle Falls, Kansas City, Chicago and Orlando people sitting down for one massive meal.

Chapter 15 - In the Park

A busload of priests and refugees from an inner city mission are driving cross country, trying to get everyone to safety... what could possibly go wrong with that?

Chapter 16 - Apocalypse

Well, it's a new day. Everyone is sleeping, snuggled in their comfortable beds. Nothing bad could happen on a day like this, could it? (Hint: See the Chapter Title)

Chapter 17 - Meanwhile

Father Doherty and his crew are still on the bus, still heading West. Events from the outside world are about to make themselves known.

Chapter 18 - Dukes and Dauphins

And now for something completely different... No, it's not Monty Python. It's just another group starting out that we haven't heard anything about before. Come to think of it, you should be used to that by now.

Chapter 19 - Blackhawks

Everyone on Father Doherty's bus is stunned by what they've heard on the news. It seems that it may be time to reevaluate their plan... or lack thereof.

Chapter 20 - Flutterbye

Honestly, how many times is a pair of heavily armed helicopters landing on your lawn the beginning of a 'good' thing?

Chapter 21 - Tilt-a-Whirl

So, the rest of the world is in chaos, and the only thing on everyone's mind seems to be Brother Jacques' test results... 

Good.

The rest of the world can take care of itself for a few minutes.

Chapter 22 - Twilight's Last Gleaming

Anticipation is high and nerves are on edge as the different groups approach Kettle Fall.

Chapter 23 - Red Glare

As a new day dawns, the sense of urgency increases for Father Doherty and his group.

Chapter 24 - Dukes & Kings

Some new faces, as well as some familiar ones. The pursuit of safety turns out to be it's own adventure.

Chapter 25 - Proof Through the Night

It's the dawn of a new day... well, not quite. Several things happen before first light, and the guys (and gals) have to deal with the repercussions.

Chapter 26 - Still There

Dawn has come and gone, but that doesn't mean that all our favorite people have managed to force themselves out of bed to face the new day.

Chapter 27 - Mountain Fall

After receiving some help from an unexpected source, Dr. Murten faces the next of his daunting tasks. He has to explain things to Zane's loved ones. Oh yeah, and they're still preparing for a tidal wave of refugees, to.

Chapter 28 - The Best Laid Plans

Do you remember way, waaaaaay back, about chapter 23, when Father Doherty arrived at the first checkpoint? Well... they're here!

Chapter 29 - Reason Sleeps

-The sleep of reason brings forth monsters.- The insanity continues.

Chapter 30 - It Begins

Now it's time to see if all the preparations have been enough.

Chapter 31 - Breakfast of Champions
Everyone needs to do their part to contribute, even those who feel that they have nothing to give.

Chapter 32 - Dancing in the Streets

There were a few questions left over at the end of the last chapter.

Will Lazlo find a way to make a contribution to the overall effort? Will anyone be willing to help Father Doherty and Brother Emo get the supplies that Colton needs? Will Art and Euan be able to help the members of the convoy now that they've arrived?

Chapter 33 - What Was Lost

It looks like our friends in Kettle Falls have quite a plan to help people. But what happens when a busload of people with varying degrees of disability show up? They've made preparations to help a person with disabilities, but a busload?

Chapter 34 - What We've Gained

So far, the whole thing seems to be running like a well oiled machine.

I guess as long as every single thing continues working perfectly, without the slightest variation, that nothing will go wrong.

It could happen...

Chapter 35 - Snapshot

When a person shows up in Kettle Falls, looking for help, what do they see? What's the experience like when you're coming in from the outside?

Chapter 36 - Attributes of Zero

So many situations are zig-zagging all around at once. the thing is, I don't see any indication that they're going to settle down anytime soon.

Chapter 37 - Monumental Ambitions

Everything is spinning in a dozen different directions and everyone is doing their best. The big question is, will Carson and Bug be able to coordinate all the different efforts?

Chapter 38 - Justifying the Sacrifice

Sometimes when there are decisions to be made, they aren't what they appear to be. You already know what you need to do, the decision is really to commit to doing it.

Chapter 39 - Interminable Optimism

With everything going wild and in every direction, from time to time it's necessary to take a moment to stop and regroup.

Chapter 40 - A Promise Spoken

The long anticipated arrival of the Chicago refugees is at hand.

Edited by MultiMapper

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Reading Metamorphosis for second time . . . This time for the gestalt, the ties to other stories, the characters that appear in multiple universes. Amazing how that is handled. Density is well done. I can "see" places without the necessity of exposition, although I'm not sure anyone could do justice to the senior priest's quarters. Holy mackerel! (There's probably one of those on the mantle?)

I'm re-reading Metamorphosis, and enjoying every minute of it.

Only one complaint.

The end of chapter 20... 'you didn't ask'...  Well, you just almost killed me.  I would have died laughing (died of laughter, even), but...  Still...  IT'S TOO FUNNAY!

I guess, considering what's usually coming out of Bug's mouth, leaving him speechless is probably for the best.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...