An Idea on Chapter Numbering

Adam

I now fully understand the logistical reasoning behind the new practice of listing a whole raft of chapters on the title page of a story before those chapters are actually posted. However, two shortcoming must still be considered. For readers new to the site, and guests, many may be tempted to begin to read a story in progress under the false impression that already, say 20 chapters are posted, only to come to a shocking dead end after only five. These potential new recruits to our site feel cheated and regard this practice as tawdry false puffery for the site. The second problem is for more established denizens of Castle Roland, such as myself. I regularly simply cannot recall which was the last numbered chapter I read of each story I am following. Was it chapter 12 of The 5 Adams or Chapter 6 of Arthur's latest story or Chapter 8 of Drummer Boy III? 

I know from corresponding with on-line friends that my frustrations are shared by many.

These two issues could be comparatively easily overcome, I believe. The former might simply require a statement on the Home Page to the effect that "The listing of a numbered chapter of any story does not necessarily mean that particular chapter is yet posted on this site. Chapters are posted on a regular schedule in collaboration with the wishes of the author."  The second issue simply requires you to print at the heading of each posted chapter which numbered chapter it is. For example, I know that when I send you my chapters I always write Chapter xXxX on the header. If this were actually included with each posting we would not keep being frustrated looking for where to find the latest exiting addition to our favourite story.

Just helpful suggestions.

Adam

Dear Adam (and all of our readers),

I understand the problem, but there is no real good solution to the first part. That area reserved for the "Castle Herald", on the front page, is character limited. Such a statement as you suggested would be too long when coupled with just about anything else I needed to make note of. I will try and reword it, but I am not currently hopeful.

As for the chapter numbering; Every Single Chapter is numbered, right at the very top of the screen (when the chapter is selected), regardless if the chapter is actually visible or not. To me, that part of the complaint is a non-sequitur or I just do not understand what you are trying to say.

One of the things the new site allows me to do is to load as many chapters as I want and time limit their actual visibility. That is to say that if a story is actually complete and I have 20 chapters, I can load the entire story, chapter by chapter. I can then limit when each chapter actually goes live (usually in compliance with the way an author wishes them to be seen). To help alleviate problems, even though every chapter is listed on the story page, those chapters which are not actually live have a small graphic that tells the reader that it will be coming soon. A rather relative term, I admit, but there that is.

We advertise which stories and which chapters are going live in the Newsletter, on this Forum, on FaceBook and on Twitter. Not at all sure what else we can do.

I also have an allergy to much of what is called "social media". Although, to be fair, discussion forums are also social media... Harkening back to the days of Bulletin Boards of the past, they are perhaps the original electronic social media.

To set the record straight, our chief moderator, Zach, handles the notifications via FaceBook, Twitter and this Forum.