BADAJOZ DAY, Friday 6th April

SussexBoi

This might be interesting for those following Thomas and his mates during his Spanish campaign Friday the 6th of April is the anniversary of the successful storming of the Spanish city and castle of Badajoz on 6 April 1812 during the Napoleonic Wars. A red jacket is flown at various locations, by those modern-day regiments whose forebearers fought at the battle.

RED JACKET.jpg

That is so intetesting . I never knew that, that just shows we can learn something new everyday. Besides the fact that some forefathers fought in the battle. The flying of the red tunic jacket is there a deep meaning? Why the red jacket? Dose anyone know?

The Scarlet Coatee Jacket flown  From The Flag Pole On Badajoz Day. On 6 April 1812 the 45th Foot (later 1st Bn the Sherwood Foresters) took part in the storming of the citadel of Badajoz in Spain. Lieutenant Macpherson led the attack on the central tower and on seizing it realised he had no British Flag to fly to signify it had fallen. He, therefore, removed his scarlet coatee and hoisted that in lieu. This tradition is carried forward into the Mercian Regiment by 2 MERCIAN who raise a scarlet coatee from their Regimental flagpole on Badajoz Day as does Nottingham Castle. 

Thank you for your answer to my question. I love British history and facts as like this one. We Americans do have a history but far short of that of the United Kingdom. One thing I always keep in mind is the United State we call ourself the grate melting pot. The founding fathers of out country are almost entirely of UK descendant. Still today the descendants of Irish, Scott. English and weish we hold the UK in high regard and proud to come from such stock.

Hi Jay, here in the UK our armed forces have some strange and often obscure traditions.  Often celebrating a defeat which we seem able to turn into an event worth honouring. My own regiment which was the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment celebrates the honours of our Forbearer   regiments, which made mess nights somewhat tiresome at times.