Neon

Zach Caldwell

Neon, a very nice beginning to this story. Joel is mostly drugged out on something. What for we do not know. Grid is another boy that help Joel. What's is his tail? Then there is Kato who is that? We just have a lot of questions. What has happened to Joel"s mom and Charlie? We will have to return to Joel's new world to find out. The best is they are three parts to this chapter one more interesting that the other. We will diffently be back.

I think part three, "_you are exactly where you need to be". This part just adds to what you already knows. In this part we read of his mom and finds out who Charlie is ( his little brother ). We also read about the men in white coats? What would a mother take her two boys there? It answers a few questions and makes even more. That just leaves you wanting the next part to find out what you were not told. It just plays on the others two parts presenting more question than it answers keeping you reading just one more.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

It answers a few questions and makes even more. That just leaves you wanting the next part to find out what you were not told. It just plays on the others two parts presenting more question than it answers keeping you reading just one more.

Yes, it does exactly that. It jumps back in time and you find out a few things, then you are left wondering about what is actually going on. Now you know more than Joel, because he can't remember. You will find out even more in the next chapter and be introduced to some new characters...

I recall, whilst a boarder at a London prep and middle school, there was a television series entitled The Prisoner. It was shown too late for us to watch after singing vespers and doing preps, so it was recorded for older boys to watch on Saturday afternoons after sports. I think the masters used eight-track, for I know VCR hadn't been invented yet! Your Neon has marked psychological similarities in the first chapter - not in plot of course, but in mood and feelings of out-of-time-and-place. You have a knack of interposing your readers into the lives of your characters very quickly, both by your use of language and by your deft descriptive narrative. I envy your ability to capture scene so easily. I guess it comes with experience .....and age (LOL)!

The Prisoner staring Patrick McGoohan - "I am NOT a number, I am a FREE man!"  I grew up watching this on TV, it's a classic and a cult television series from the sixties. I guess it must have influenced me, there were a lot of rather bizarre off the wall themes on television in the sixties. Maybe it had something to do with all the drugs floating around? In any event it was creative fiction that was thought provoking, anarchistic, anti-establishment. An era when subtle messages and points of view were expressed hidden in mainstream television that the powers that be didn't understand and dismissed as incomprehensible rubbish (at least that was what my parents thought) allowing it to be viewed by the younger generation!

Another interesting chapter. The twins just missed the Xcop. They do not know how lucky they were. The Xcops seem to be getting closer to finding the boys? It seem they are smoking a lot and enjoying them self. How long will that last? What will happen when the twins meet Grif again? We may see next time as I enjoy reading this story.

Mark is at the house with the boys trying to get them to follow Kado. The more you read the more question about what is going on pop up. Then you get a few answers along the way. I have an idea what project weatherman is or was but I could be wrong. No matter I am just enjoying myself in reading this story.

That was confusing. We moved to the year 6985 and a different plant. They were talking as if the story was that of a past event. We see two factions one ICEX and Masion with two different approaches to the problem. I am sure once we return thing will be more clear. No matter I am enjoying the read and that's the most important thing isn't it.