• Fantasy
    • Urban Fantasy
    • Comedy
    • Coming of Age/Coming out
    • Science Fiction
    • Fan Fic
    • Mystery Horror
    • Historical Fiction

The Poll is pretty basic so pick the one that most works for you then share with us why and if there is a sub genre you would have chosen if it were an option. 

Personally I have always preferred a good action story. I love the fast pace and heart stopping moments of a good adventure. Pacing is everything to me.

I chose Fantasy because it is my very favorite but I also like Urban Fantasy as a close second (I see them as slightly related). Then comes action/ adventure and science fiction. But I have also found Romance and Coming of Age stories I like. Then last but not necessarily least is Arthur's Drummer Boy which is Historical Fiction that I wouldn't usually read.

So my genre that I would chose if it was available is a well-written story; the genre doesn't matter.

i have a problem with this poll.  the only one of those i don't like is fan fic.  I find that writers of "fan fic" stories tend to take the characters into place the original authors didn't intend.  IF it is done with different characters, say in the setting of the story they emulate, that's fine.  But I would feel upset if someone hijacked my characters, even in sincerest appreciation, and just did with them as they pleased.  A lot of my chars have deep reasons why they do and act as they do.  Not all of those reasons are completely known in the stories yet (got to have something to reveal later *wink*).

D'Artagnon, I completely agree. I hate the idea of someone using a major character I developed. The amount of mental energy that goes into that creation is huge. There are so many things about my characters that the readers are not even aware of. That's an important part of writing. 

With that said, I argued for that genre to be left off the list, however I was overruled by the powers that be. Here is the reasoning

1.  The Genre does exist no matter how we feel about it.
2. There is a huge fan base for it.
3. Some Fanfic writters and most on this sight use background characters and create spin offs. Or sometimes completely new characters in that universe.

Ah, it's a difficult poll to vote in, to choose one genre from the list. I was heading towards coming out/coming of age, because I like to read realistic stories with insights into characters and their thinking, along with the trials and tribulations they must face.

However, I like any realistic fiction, which encompasses more than just that one genre mentioned above and can include historical fiction and adventure - adventure is good - I like drama. My tastes are broad. Fantasy is up there on my list, but not werewolves, vampires and elfs - nobody can beat Tolkien, and the werewolves and vampires just leave me - uh, cold - apologies to all you werewolves and vampires out there. Fan fiction, nope, don't like it.

Science Fiction, it has to be really good, I've read tons in the past, so I tend not to. 

I suppose realistic fiction is my top choice so I'll give my vote to coming of age/coming out, because I have to choose from the list.

One last thing - I do love stories that are written differently, example - I just read a short book where each chapter was the entry in a young boy's diary, it was brilliant (I thought).

PS. Thanks for the poll ?

10 hours ago, William King said:

One last thing - I do love stories that are written differently, example - I just read a short book where each chapter was the entry in a young boy's diary, it was brilliant (I thought).

PS. Thanks for the poll ?

Whats the story and where can we find it?

Your welcome. I know the poll is a little weird and could have gone a lot further but well I had to limit it somehow so used the common genre list found on wikipedia and then paired it down a little so the poll would not be too long. Now I could after this poll is done take the top contenders and create a new poll with sub genres just to see what everyone thinks.

This poll seems like just a fun idea however it can be a tool for authors. there are a couple hundred (?) members on this forum. If only a small percentage prefer action adventure then I know my preferred writing genres is targeting a smaller audience and just maybe i might want to try my hand at something else.

I like coming of age stories but I prefer them to not have too much sex in them. I skim through those parts. It's better for me to have some humor and a happy ending, no matter the genre.

I have a confession to make. Sometimes I watch movies on the Hallmark channel. Not often, but sometimes. :D

For me, the action adventure is the best, but then again, as always, i look at things differently.  I prefer a story that gets me hooked, makes me feel what the chracter is feeling, and facing what they face.  In my opinion, almost all stories can be called action adventure, since there is almost always some action in the story.  

1 hour ago, ken barber said:

Whats the story and where can we find it?

You can read the full review in the forum on here at: http://castleroland.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/1582-book-reviews/#comment-17227

It's got the link at the end.

@Parker   This story has no sex, just a kiss. I bet you would like it.

It was a tough choice, but I chose fantasy for this pole. There's elements in fantasy that just get my attention. Also, in part, because I like to use reading to escape my real problems. Not sure what Urban Fantasy is other than Fantasy that takes place in an urban environment... So I just sort of mentally lumped it together with Fantasy.

If the story seems too much like something that I could actually do, it isn't fun. Yeah, it has to be realistic up to a point, but there's a line. But I will read Science Fiction and Action Adventure stories too.  It's hard, sometimes, to tell the line between genres.

While I chose Fantasy, my tastes are extremely eclectic. I've loved a wide variety of genres, even enjoyed the occasional fan-fic. 

One genre which is a personal favorite of mine isn't represented here, and that's Philosophical Fiction. I'm thinking of something like "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. 

As for the fan-fic conversation, I think that someone using my characters would be okay with me IF they consulted with me on how to do them properly. But otherwise it would definitely bother me.

While I voted Coming of Age I could easily have ticked all of the above boxes.  I read fairly widely and wouldn't say that I have a particularly favourite genre but as I look at my bookshelves it does seem that I find myself to Coming of Age themes within the various genres.