The Shadows over Hammerhead Cove Issue Two

[Special Note: The new website is now live. As a result the links throughout this thread are invalid except for the latest posting to the thread. All of Ellio Lee stories can now be found at Ellio Lee]

Ellio Lee

Reports of the Weird and Accounts of the Strange: Issue #2

The Shadows over Hammerhead Cove

Chapter 1

Edited by Zach Caldwell
Link website notification

Ellio you are a fine wrighter. Here on CR some of the finest if not the best authors present their stories. To be an author on CR can make you nervous. To place your work beside others of such caliber will let you know quickly. That is why we come here week after week to read the best from the best. Ellio you are one of the best authors or you would not be on CR. Not everyone can be an author on CR but you are and we are so lucky to read such fine work. Please keep it comeing.

@JayAh, cheers man, you're gent.  I think the nerves were just down to the fact that no one had seen any of Issue #2, whereas Issue #1 had been seen by a few people before hand so the nerves were simply about presenting baby to the world for the first time and hoping that people didn't notice it's third eye - haha.  Again, you're a proper gent.  Thank you.

The plot thickens!  And a legitimate job offer!  Glad to see Doyler again.  The mystery in the meadow seems to have more to it.  Loving how Takeru is a free spirit but has a good, strong heart.  Waiting to see where this all leads.

Darn it, now I want licorice!  Twizzlers to the rescue!

Thank you @D'Artagnon and @Jay.  I'm glad that you're both enjoying the story so far and I really do appreciate you both taking the time to comment on the forum.  Your interest genuinely makes me want to continue writing. Not that I'm needy or anything. :) (Just tell me that I'm handsome, and that you love me - I joke, I joke... but I am funny right?  Tell me that I'm funny... hahaha!)  

As far as gainful employment goes for young Takeru you'll just have to see... and yeah he does kind of lead Doyler astray (but then I can't imagine a situation where anyone would rather do community service if the option of adventure with Takeru were on the table).  He also talks and thinks about cock alot - his and others... I think I wrote in the comments for the first issue that I believed Kibu was like 80% Id, maybe Takeru is 80% penis.  Or maybe he's just a 16 yo gay boy with no societal restrictions on the Island telling him that he shouldn't think about that so much. 

@Jay I LOVED that you referred to him as "our Doyler" for some reason that just made me really happy.  @D'Artagnon I hope you you got your hands on a Twizzler.

I withheld my comments on chapter three because I wanted to see how it affected chapter four.  More mysteries, more partial answers, more understanding, but also more questions.  We all knew there was something odd, special and slightly disturbing about Toby.  But I still find myself intrigued.  The story has all kinds of hooks, and I find myself hoping that the answers to the questions running around in my twisted little mind do come out soon, but knowing that they will come with a price, and questions more. 

Excellent job, Ellio.  You've baited the hook and we're all taking bites.

Thanks @D'Artagnon.  As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated.  You like how I hint at the answer to a question with a question huh? hahaha.  Glad you're still following.  There are some answers by the end of this story but yeah, their's a hefty price tag that comes with knowing them.  And of course a few more questions will get asked.  Cards on the table here, I suspected the Nifty bait elements of this story would be far too distracting and as I read them back with distance I think that I probably should have gutted them, condensing a couple of chapters to one.  Lesson learned.  As for Toby yep, yep and yep.  :)

All that D'Artagnon said about Toby is true but I also get the feeling that he is not quite like the rest of his 'kind.' Apparently, the 'people' at Hammerhead Cove were responsible for the fiasco involving Doyler, Jamie and Doyler's parents. Another mystery and question that D'Artagnon didn't mention is; what or who is Pappa John and what does the graphic on the surfboard mean and how is this group involved in what happened to Doyler?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Hopefully further reading will reveal at least a few answers.

I could throw some clues, but I will be sneaky and silent.  There are things I suspect, things I believe I know and things that fit the puzzle.  However, I have learned a while ago that baiting a writer for hints may get you clues you don't link in, or mouthing off that can be pleasantly misleading.  Also, never expect a straight answer when a gay deception is involved.  LOL, that being said, I've always found it interesting to see which way an author will take a story.  I might have my own ideas about where I might take it, but the fact of the matter is, Ellio is in charge of this ride, the rest of us are just hanging on for dear life.

So while I might hold a map in the back seat, the guy at the wheel still determines where we wind up.  I'm just the jerk in the backseat taking pics on my cell phone.  *GRIN*

Although I will say this... if what I think i know is what i think is going on then what I think happens next is likely to be something I think a lot of us will think we like.  I think.

@D'Artagnon- I would say you 'think' too much but I've been led to believe otherwise. LOL

I certainly was not trying to bait Ellio into giving out hints. As a writer I know better. I just hoped we get the answers we each want by reading what He gives us.

I have some thoughts too on where I would go but reading the following chapter(s) will tell me if I guess correctly or not.

Keep up the good work, Ellio!

Fear not the answers are coming, some sooner rather than later, some as you'd wish and others that are hopefully less expected.  The only thing I'll say is that if "Welcome to Halpin Hope" was to be considered the prologue then think of "Shadows" (all 9 parts) as merely the first chapter.  There are seeds in both stories so far that won't sprout and questions asked that won't find answers for a good few stories to come.  The idea behind presenting it in the style of Issues is that each story would at least result in a conclusion giving some form of closure while hopefully still leaving the reader itching to know how all these hanging questions and loose threads will eventually tie together. 

Oh my!  More than just a moment of physical thrills exploring both of their particular teenage kinks.  I get the feeling that there are feelings being caught here, despite Toby's sense of foreboding about returning to the "home."  Taki seems to be in seventh heaven.  That sense of wonder and affection between them seems to be getting deeper, but what are the factors swelling around them.  What does the Order do to wayward boys who stay out overnight?  What really is going on with Pappa John?  And does the discovery at the observatory have anything to do with anything? (Taki's dad is a genuine nerd!)  Love it, waiting for more.  Great job!

Thank you very much @Jay & @D'Artagnon.once again you've both been very kind.

I won't pretend it hasn't been tricky trying to make Taki go from a raging bag of hormones who'll jerk off in meadows and with his twin brother and well... with anyone anywhere to someone who could maybe very possibly perhaps become something akin to a romantic lead.  Five chapters is a quick turnaround... hahaha.  Those questions might be just be the baited hooks @Jeikor was talking about.  One might be a baited harpoon!

Ominous.  Weather, bad dreams, Poppa Johns tea.  The grass, the forest, the road.  Taki's father unsure what he's finding in the heavens.  Toby's absence.  Even the difference between the brothers Irvine.  it is building to something.

There is only one thing that baffled me.  You used a term in describing Hammerhead Cove that I'd never encountered before, Tombola.  Every reference I found to this spoke to either a type of Bingo game with numbers drawn from a tumbler, marked off on a sheet with tokens, or to what I guess is a pub on the River Wear, on the north-eastern British coast.  I "think" i know what you mean, but I am not certain.  It is a very exotic sounding and resonating word, and in my brain it puts up an image of perhaps uneven ground, lifting here and there in rocky spots, shot through with wild grasses, like at the foot of steep, rolling hills.  Like things had once been above, had long ago tumbled down, and nature tried to reclaim the space, growing tough, rough, strident green things around the fallen material.

Lol, can you tell I've been working on stories?

I love where this is going.  Taki is not only showing us more about the people and places of Halpin Hope, but he's showing us the intricacies of his own heart and mind.  I feel he's at that precipice between the simplicity of his young teen years to a sense that things outside his small, insular world are important.  And not just to himself, but that things in other places link with his world, and back to the world beyond.  I think he's also beginning to see that his family, his town, his home, everything he's known, has kept him safe from some things, but it's also kept him from seeing some things.  He's opening his eyes.

And in all of this, one question keeps coming to my mind.  What has become of Toby?

Oh, and one other thing has come to my mind.  Names usually have strong meanings for me in what I write, and I have found other writers feel the same.  The reference to the fort put me to thinking about the island itself.  If it takes five hours to walk from Hammerhead Cove to Halpin Hope (or at least the road to the observatory), it's a big island.  Two towns, the pot farm, the two separate forests, the lagoon, the observatory, the fort, the mango plantation... This small island is either a lot bigger than I at first thought or it is packed with stuff around the coastline with a very rugged interior.  I feel that it is probably a combination of the two.  Anyways, my question is in two parts:

We know that the main town, one that apparently gets tourists from the mainland, is called Halpin Hope.  Is that the name of the island as well?  Also, kinda cool that the two towns mentioned on the island both have "H" names and both have assonating four-letter second parts to their names (Hope and Cove).

Secondly, does this island exist in our humdrum reality, given a new name in your story?  I have done that for my Canterbury stories, renaming my family's home town of Haverhill, Massachusetts, espcially after discovering the literary history of that city.  Just wondering if there is a place you drew inspiration from.

Anyways, keep going.  There is a very involving story building here.  We are all waiting so see what's next.