Ashes of Fate - Season 1

Castle Herald

[Special Note: The new website is now live. As a result the links throughout this thread are invalid except for the latest posting to the thread. All of Cynus's stories can now be found at Cynus]

Cynus

Ashes of Fate - Season 1

The Fugitive

Episode 1

Edited by Zach Caldwell
Link website notification

• 11 months later...

This is another of Cynus' excellent stories.  I liked it going full circle, with Faust at the beginning and end.  Faust's characterization seemed to shift a bit, but maybe that's just because in Chapter 1 Tristan had not yet learned about elves and he just saw Faust as an old human soldier. That said, the intense battle scenes were very well written.

The one thing I found slightly off was the interjection of chapter 10 -- Ethan's backstory.  It was a very good chapter, but it just didn't seem to fit where it was.  Because of its standalone nature, I think it would have worked better as an addendum at the end, without interrupting the main story flow from chapter 9 to 11.

On 9/27/2018 at 2:48 PM, Wyatt said:

This is another of Cynus' excellent stories.  I liked it going full circle, with Faust at the beginning and end.  Faust's characterization seemed to shift a bit, but maybe that's just because in Chapter 1 Tristan had not yet learned about elves and he just saw Faust as an old human soldier. That said, the intense battle scenes were very well written.

The one thing I found slightly off was the interjection of chapter 10 -- Ethan's backstory.  It was a very good chapter, but it just didn't seem to fit where it was.  Because of its standalone nature, I think it would have worked better as an addendum at the end, without interrupting the main story flow from chapter 9 to 11.

Thank you for your comments! There's a few reasons for the discrepancies you mentioned. I don't think I, as the author, fully understood Faust's character when I started the story, but when this was first released I was also releasing the chapters as soon as I finished them. Once I knew who Faust was, I wanted to play him that way in the end, but couldn't easily go back and change Faust in chapter 1. This is part of the reason why I no longer release chapters ahead of me finishing the book.

As far as Ethan's backstory goes, the intent was actually to write a short story for each main cast character's backstory before writing Ashes of Fate. Everyone on the good side except Tristan, since the story is technically about him. Micah's is "The Drawbacks of Being a Monster", Jacob/Kurt's is "Oak Shadows", and Luke/Hayden's is "Is Love a Miracle?", for those who don't know already(Oh, and in season 2, Finn's is "King of the Corn Maze"). Unfortunately, I didn't get Ethan's completed, but I'd already written half of it. I still wanted to include it in the series, so I just threw it into season 1. It was a poor choice in terms of placement, but I've learned from my mistakes. :)