O'Connell's Grenadiers

Anjobranco

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hmm, they need quite some time to come around the corners where they hide.

i just finished reading grenadiers and brile i did before that.
so please add more chapters to both of these stories. all end always with cliffhangers and at the grenadiers theres nothing new since almost 2 years now.

we desperately need new chapters of all of your stories!!!

• 2 months later...

new chapters of Brile and O'Connell have seen final edit and are right around the corner. Updates are so close you should be able to smell them:

in the mean time a small snippet out of the upcoming OCG 15:

The lieutenant shook her head in aggravation while turning to one of the men who had brought Neil and Valerie down to the basement. “Sgt Polzin, go with Borya, grab a frame, tell Olga to take a Bandit, and give her Trainer to Cpl Afonin on my orders."

She then focused back on Cpl. Afonin. "Once you are framed up, get back here with a couple of the others, so the rest of us can grab Bandits. We’ll be way better off once everyone is framed up.”

Sgt. Trofin Polzin looked over at the other man who had been with him then when they found Neil and Val, then back at the woman, “How about I take Pavel and a few of the brats since I am going all the way there?”

“I don't care if Pvt. Zherdev with you, but we don’t need any kids, sergeant. Now get going with the others so you all can get framed up. But I want you to stay with the equipment. You'll prevent them from getting cold feet on me.”

Trofin pointed down at the kids, “Ma'am, at the moment I'm listed as your XO and I need to speak up here. Look around for a second. We're all but doing this on a wing and a prayer and this whole thing is our only backup plan. These kids could be what we need to get off this rock.”

The lieutenant shot the sergeant a frown, “Trofin, they’ll just get in the way and be one more thing we have to worry about, besides, they're nothing but mining urchins. What worth could they have to us?”

“Come on, ma'am, they're leverage. And while they may be a bit of a hassle, they'll be better off with us then stuck under tons of rubble. Even if you don't care, they are walking talking extra influence for us. Keep in mind, while we were not part of the miss-fold or the attempt to kill those on the Wagon, we did get to this moon on the same transport as those who did. Add in the fact you shot a guy in cold blood, lieutenant, and I'd like a little something to negotiate with and these kids are all I see to give us something to barter with.”

Trofin stared straight into the woman's eyes. “And while we should be able to show we were not part of the sabotage of the fold craft, they may use the execution of the hostage to try and pin it all on us. Besides, AIM contract or not, you shot a restrained hostage in the back of the head. While this is a valid mission, doing what you did in the way you did it is going to be seen as beyond harsh. A few my even try to call it murder. If those we are facing manage to catch us, having some hostages may let you negotiate an out.”

Cpl Afonin leaned the Riot frame up against a wall, popped the back hatch and wiggled  out, showing he was a big guy who had to be at the upper edges of a Riot frame’s size rating. The fact he spent a few seconds stretching told both Neil and Valerie he had been cramped inside a frame which was able to fit the vast majority of pilots, from small to large.

The man rolled his neck and looked into the holding area, “Normally I'd say take some of the adults, but they will be harder to get ransom for and are more likely to give us problems, so our XO is correct, ma'am. AIM will back us on the contract, sure, but if we can offer hostages, AIM will have some leverage with those who hit us. Besides, even if we don’t need them for leverage, they have got to be worth some credits to the right mining company. Get a company to pay ransom and in exchange they can make the families pay, plus tack on an exchange fee. Or, if there is no money to be had for them, the urchins can work it off under indentured servitude. It's a mining moon and I bet every camp up here needs cheap labor."

One of the women in a Bandit frame also spoke up, "I’m also with the XO, ma’am. They are cash or bargaining chips and the way it’s looking we need both."

Seeing the woman considering the words, Neil slid over to Valerie while digging into his pocket, “After the way they talked about you, you can’t go with them. Take all of these but one, and see if lieutenant will let you take a look at her frame while I cause enough of a problem so they focus on me.”

Valerie looked at Neil like he was crazy, “We can’t separate…”

“Come on, Val, you can make your move since there will only be a couple of guards left. Besides, they still don’t know we can understand them when they speak Russian. Maybe I can get them to slip up and tell me where they took the others.”

“It doesn’t really sound like they were with the others and probably don’t know much. Besides, if you get on their bad side, you’ll end up a bloody mess and Robin will be pissed at both of us.”

• 4 months later...

I see that chapter 16 of both stories is over at Wolfsnest.  Are they going to be posted here?

The question is really an excuse to say that I am loving these two stories, and is there any chance of there being a chapter 17 soon?

The plot seems to have taken a twist in chapter 16, and I am looking forward to seeing where it is going.  I am betting that some of the chars from the Grenadiers are going to end up on Brile fairly soon.

I can't say much for chapter 17, except that asking for 3 new chapters in a year may already be way too greedy. ;)

However, I will say that upon reading the two newest installments, I came to the opposite conclusion. I'm rather convinced that we will see characters from Brile show up in Grenadiers. Namely, former BH cadette Candice and those she is currently with :)

• 1 year later...

Why are you still looking at the old update site, Zergrinch? That hasn't been updated since Sept of 2017!

Edited to Add: I changed (on 1/9/2019) all the links on the old update site front page to point to the new site (I still use the old site for experimental purposes). BUT.... If you are using any OLD bookmarks that point to ANY of the old site(s), they will fail... Particularly after I finish deleting ALL the old directory structure.

Subscribe to our twice weekly newsletter OR look in the Castle Library Updates forum (also updated twice weekly).

Edited by Al Norris
Inserted more info

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I'm going to necro this thread by asking a question.

If you were going to publish O'Connell Grenadiers into books, where would you place the cut-off points?

For me personally, Book 1 would end at around 60% of Chapter 10, around this part (likely as an epilogue):

Within seconds of the unscheduled small hole in space being detected by Forest Garden defense forces, a pair of Blood’s Honor fighters were dispatched to pick up the now crispy-blacked ball. A couple of minutes later, the now all but used up energy in the zip ball managed to send out a weak signal, alerting the system of its arrival and of its need to be picked up.

Book 2 would begin with a prologue about the Zip ball once again. Presumably the logical stopping point would be around Chapter 20, which is still two chapters away from what we have. In the event it doesn't have a natural stopping point, I would probably have a shorter book 2 (ending at Chapter 15), and starting Book 3 with Zane's induction into the Q Sabers, and the formation of the Rugrat Renegades.