And the Winners Are...

Well, it looks like only 2 of our authors could take up the challenge! So they have both agreed to keep the contest intact.

So take a read of these 2 stories, vote on them, and may the force be with you all!

Oh, and make all your comments here, please!

Edited by Al Norris

Yes!

There were 3 stories submitted.

Through an unfortunate series of goofs and forgetfulness ... We lost that story until now.

For this, we humbly ask the author for forgiveness.

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

:(:unsure::(

Edited by Al Norris

IMHO... All three stories are great and each author should be proud of their work...

I for one would like to see each continue on... but that is up to the authors... Authors just know that you will have at least one egger fan out here hoping for more...

Though today is the last day for voting I would like to challenge all the forum members to read each story and vote...

The Authors and Castle Roland PR team will thank you for your time and effort...

Again another Great contest...

I found something to like in each and every story. So in that way, I'm glad that each author made place.

Just so everyone knows, when I finally found Parker's story and got it posted, I gave him the option of keeping it open for voting. He declined and wanted it kept in line with the other two entries.

This was perhaps the tightest race we've seen. The difference in scores between 1st and 3rd was a mere 0.417 points. Well Done!!

First Place winner was: The Force Within - Jandar Tyr

Second Place Winner was: The Force of Friendship - Jeikor

Third Place Winner was: The Littlest Heroes - Parker Scheaffer

Thank you to everyone who participated.

Yes well, there are these things called BILLS.  And this schtuff called WORK.  These things are often required to maintain a HOME and pay for things like CARS and FOOD and the ubiquitous CELL PHONES.  So while there were stories planned, this continuing drama and event cycle called LIFE happened, and some things had to be prioritized.  So, the question to you, he who only READS and COMMENTS but has yet to PRODUCE LITERATURE, is this... would you prefer a completed and well written Kyle Aarons story in the many varieties of his works currently expanding all of our appreciation of the art form, or a hastily dropped out fan fic that may not be ready yet?  Would you prefer the same of me?  Of any author here?

Things happen.  Star Wars stories may yet occur from both of us or from other authors.  Heck, why haven't you taken a poke at it?  Or is the saying completely true that "those that can, do.  Those that can not, become critics."

Hm, you seem to have taken the capital letters as some kind of personal attack. I assure you no malice was intended, and that was simply how I would say it out loud, with a stress on "SURE". This was based on previous pronouncements when my favorite authors dropped hints of already having a lot of ideas percolating in their mind.

With that said, I shall henceforth stop reading and commenting on your literature, as you seem to harbor the impression that only those who produce literature have the right to give feedback on such. It won't be easy to withdraw from the Canterbury Universe, but I am sure I'll manage somehow. Have a nice day, sir.

Edited by Zergrinch

Sigh.  For someone so literal minded, you seem to miss the point of redirected sarcasm, even after you used such sarcasm yourself.

However, I can neither change your mind nor present a case of non-malice.  If that is your wish, I do hope you continue to read other authors here.  They do not deserve to have the unintended wrath of my words affect their works.  Nor should you deprive them of your feedback.

And with no ill feelings or intentions, I wish you well.

I wasn't attempting to be sarcastic. Every time I intend sarcasm in a post, I add an emoticon like so: :):D :ph34r:

After all, sarcasm is extremely hard to detect on the Internet. One can easily misread a passage meant to be sarcastic, but is not overtly so. 

To break up the atmosphere, I shall quote Anton Ego, in his closing monologue on the animated film Ratatouille:

In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so.

But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends. Last night, I experienced something new, an extra-ordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions about fine cooking is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core.

In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: "Anyone can cook." But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere. It is difficult to imagine more humble origins than those of the genius now cooking at Gusteau's, who is, in this critic's opinion, nothing less than the finest chef in France.

I will be returning to Gusteau's soon, hungry for more.

Sigh.  For someone so literal minded, you seem to miss the point of redirected sarcasm, even after you used such sarcasm yourself.

Because you weren't sarcastic.  You post read as an outright attack, whatever your intent.  Even knowing you meant it as sarcasm, I can't see the effort to be witty.  I can see the components you used to try and be witty, I think, but when I look at them I just see a knock-down, drag-out attack.

Folks, this is a forum that is open to everyone and all will have their opinions and are free to share those opinions. With that said it is important to know and remember that tone, inflection, eyes and body language are not seen by others. These are all social cues that can more easily convey various emotions and or intent.

If posting in an environment, such as a forum, in which those social cues are not present, you must be extra careful in what you post and especially what others may be posting. It is best to error on the side of doubt as to what a person may or may not actually intending be it sarcasm or otherwise.

Let's not allow the conversation to be derailed anymore than it already has. Misunderstandings happen and it is now time to get back on topic. We can all agree that the stories posted were good stories and the authors are to be commended for taking the time and effort to submit them.