Just another Newbie

Kelvinvictor

HI all ...

Kev here or Kelvinvictor as I used to be known to my friends when I was young enough to go to school...

Why did I join? Well for years now I have been reading online and recently even tried to post a few things on nifty.

Then got involved with another site and published a story that they ripped apart and I lost all my sense of self worth.

So I took a different track and started publishing some poetry and they loved it. Then a story based on one of the poems and they raved about it.

The only thing that I have never liked is having to include sex scenes and this site insists on them. Hell I only came out when I was early 40s so what do I know? My stories as gay based and tell a story. I never came from an influential background, I never went to university, I have never been outside of England. So I like to imagine my character falls into the life of influence, gets family that care for him and that he finds happiness. what are stories if they are not dreams we wish could have been.

I'd like to thank Chowhound and DJ Thomas as they made me realise that there is nothing wrong in having an imagination. I guess my fear of rejection has always held me back in the past.

KEv (UK)

Kev, glad to have you join us here on the forums. I think you will like it here. You are right, a story should be just that, something that captures your imagination. Sex is not important to a story and on those occasions when it is, it not necessary to be overly graphic. Less is and can be more in my opinion. Again, welcome to Castle Roland Community. 

Welcome Kev.

At Castle Roland, we try to encourage good story telling. A good story may or may not have sex in the telling. It may sometimes be graphic. All we really ask is that the story be a story and not something that uses sex primarily as a means to titillate the libido.

We really want to showcase gay authors. That being gay doesn't mean you can't tell as good a story as can be found on the New York Times Best Sellers List.

These forums were designed to help our readers and authors to get in touch with each other in a friendly environment. It also serves a purpose for everyone, readers and authors alike, to just sit back and talk about everyday things.

We hope that you will join in and become part of this family.

NiteOwl13,  I feel the same way about a story. A well written sex scene which moves the plot along, is fine. But when the story is simply trying to outdo the Kama Sutra, then I abandon it. Give me plot, great characters, heartwarming moments, riveting drama or conflict any day over page after page of sex scenes....

Kev, 
Welcome to Castle Roland. We are glad you found us. Most of us will agree that sex is a plot builder not a plot. I come from a middle class working american family with lots of ties to the military so i tend to write about the military. Sometimes I use a little sex but mostly we can assume that behind closed doors my characters get into some craziness that would make me blush should I try to write it.  

Keep writing and when will we see some of your stories.

Hi Kevin, nice to meet you. Yeah, there are some sexy stories here but that's not what we're about. We have all kinds of stories with and without sex. Personally I don't really find it necessary.
If you have a good story, that's good enough for us. Take some time and read some of our stuff, I think you'll like it. Welcome to our Machine!!! 

Hi and Welcome

feel strange saying that since I'm new here myself

as for the sex in story I have to agree with you (maybe it's because I'm young ignorant innocent and romantic but for me sex is supposed to be something intimate and personal used to show physical love to your partner be it a man, a woman, a tree or a dog

Hi all ....

I must apologise as I haven't been back to this posting before. Not knowing how the site worked I never knew that the post would have the replies attached to it...

I currently have a few stories that I could post, but at the moment fear of rejection is winning out. I joined a different board a while a go and started to post one that I had posted in Nifty some time ago. Then I had had really good feedback, but this time they were literally cannibalistic about it. One so much so I thought I was being marked in school!. So much so I retired the story after just 4 of the 16 chapters. 

I must admit reading some of the replies above shocked me as I have read your works for years since getting divorced and moving tot he North of England. There is one story being posted at the moment that is going really well which I am tempted with. Then I also write poetry and wondered if that can be posted as well????

Oh well will write again and most likely post when I hear back from you all.

Kev

Kev,  if it would make you feel better, ask around here and someone will be happy to read some things you have written and provide meaningful and good feedback. No one wants to be made to feel badly and that is just not us here or how people here operate... Feel free to contact me if you wish and I'd be happy to read your stories and comment.