Geek Squad

Mary

[Special Note: The new website is now live. As a result the links throughout this thread are invalid except for the latest posting to the thread. All of Kyle's stories can now be found at Kyle Matthew Aarons]

It is alive and here for you to read!

What are those boys up to?

What are the politicians up to (besides using government computers for shopping)?

Are things going boom yet!!

Enjoy.  http://castleroland.net/library/chapter/kyle_aarons/gs/gs_gs_014

Edited by Zach Caldwell
Link website notification

So, now you have seen the kids in their own element using their strengths and showing some weaknesses. I am curious as to who is your favorite character at this point and why. I would also like to know if you think I have under developed any of the eight (nine including Joey) Harsh criticism is wanted here, so please give it

Of the kids I would say we know more about the core eight. Joey seems a bit lost, in that we do not know that much about him per se. Sure there was some info in the early chapters. But since then I have not seen much from him. He seems a shadow at times that comes into the light from time to time. I could see how with everything going on, they have not had time enough to fully gel with Joey yet. Though it seems they are all close.

As to who is my favorite. Hmmmm..... Not sure that I can say I have a favorite. There is something about each that I love. Not sure if it was intended or not. But it appears that together they are strong, confident and a well oiled machine. Separately I think they would be weaker maybe less confident. Maybe that is something we might see in the future, what happens when they are seperated. To some degree we might be seeing that now with Craig outside the bunker and everyone else inside. Look forward to seeing how that will develop. I seriously doubt Craig is dead from the attack and has either made it to the sewer or found some other safe heaven. Hmm, could be that Craig of the entire group is perhaps the best equipped to function outside the group as a whole. I think I would like to see a bit more of the dynamics between the boys. How they interact with each other and compliment each other and how would each be able to function outside the group if they had to because right now Craig is the only one (twice now) has acted outside the group. Though one could argue that when he was acting as bait in town, the group was watching him so that might not count as being outside the group per se.

Does that help any? :)

In the RU, people do die. If they die, they stay dead. The authors have all tried to make the RU as realistic as they can. And like it or not, if characters die, it is for a reason.

This is not to say that Craig dies (or lives), it's just a warning that death does come to the RU, as it comes to our world/universe.

In the RU, people do die. If they die, they stay dead. The authors have all tried to make the RU as realistic as they can. And like it or not, if characters die, it is for a reason.

You mean I can't just hold a lottery to decide if it's Ralph or Harry that die in chapter 7?

• 3 weeks later...

The Geek Squad is a story about a group of eight boys, all of whom are exceptionally bright. Thrown together because they were winners of a major science competition, they arrived in Austin to receive their awards and enjoy a week of getting to know each other while given the opportunity to meet scientists from a major energy company. What happens while they are there forces them to grow up quickly form into a team for their survival and to help others.

http://www.castleroland.net/library/author/kyle_aarons

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed a possible anomally in Chapter 15...

Look for "32.20198,-92.732777" in the story...

Not sure what this is but it could be a miss formatted date...

By the way I am really loving this story and looking forward to many more chapters.

Thanks

Rob

• 3 months later...

With the launch of GS 16, this would be a great time to ask some questions to some of the newly added characters if you so wish.

Please take advantage of the "Ask A Character" topic. this will not only let you get some background or interesting tidbits about characters, it will help me develop them better over the long run

• 4 weeks later...

Have started reading "Geek Squad" for the second time. After having read "Metamorphosis," I want another take on what's going on in this particular universe. I continue to be astounded at the integration by different authors of stories in this universe. Please, keep it going!

• 2 weeks later...

It's sort of a weird world.  I have made it to chapter 10.  It's like a Tea Party Luddite mated with a gay, Libertarian NRA member and came up with a world view that is intriguing but hard to swallow at times.  It's pro-gay, pro-NRA, anti-global warming, pro-science, strangely pro-Russian, and treats Texas as some sort of progressive bastion, while relegating Minnesota to a sort of backwoods fascism, both of which states are in reality quite opposite those views in my fairly extensive experience with each of them.  There are times when it describes Ashwood and his wife in terms that are reminiscent of terms I have seen on Tea Party websites when describing the Obamas but also reminds me of Richard Nixon with his tendency towards an imperial presidency, enemies list, J. Edgar Hoover, and B&E squad.  It leaves me quite confused as a reader.  It might be easier if it was set in some fictional country not called the United States of America because my brain would stop trying to draw links between the real United States and the fictional United States in this story.  It also seems, so far, that there are no smart people who are not also descended from Europeans.

As I said, intriguing but challenging.

Scrumrob,

Open your mind a little and let go of the stereotypes you see and hear in the media.

This is a world where the United States too a slightly different path. In some cases common sense took over and in other spots the opposite happened.

As for smart people of only European decent Glenn's dad's name is Jose Olivarez. Somehow, I don't see Glenn Olivarez as having only European decent. 

One of my Fighter Pilots is Lt. Morales

Levi is Israeli

The UAE ambassador is Imir Assadir (and while a bad guy, certainly not stupid)

Commerce Secretary is Duane Brinks (African American)

HUD Secretary is Polly Higuchi (African American)

Education Secretary is Jillian Barrientos (African American)

Attorney General is Rafael Latz (Hispanic)

I also have a group of kids now working with Officer Cole Rail in Kentucky:

Alonzo

Tyronne

Jamaal

Eldon

Nolan

Doyle

Tommy

Ken

I have a pretty eclectic group there and while not book smart they sure as hell aren't stupid

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...