Christmas TV Specials

ken barber

What is your favorite Christmas TV Special and Favorite Christmas Movie.

My Favorite TV Special is Rudolf and Movie is "A Christmas Carol" the one with George C Scott as scrooge.

My sister and I as kids started the tradition of watching "A Christmas Carol" on Christmas eve. (Back then we had it on VHS) we still do it every year on christmas eve now with adult drinks in hand.

The holidays are about traditions and reestablishing the bonds with loved ones. We set aside our differences and the heavy weights we carry year round for a day and just enjoy spending time with each other. Many of us will recall watching the Christmas specials on TV, in front of a giant floor model TV, in our PJ's, snacks in hand. For a family of 6 kids this was one of the few times we all got along and agreed on something.

Since we can't resurrect Bob Hope, Perry Como, Andy Williams and Bing Crosby I will have to say 'Little Drummer Boy' is my favorite special. I think my favorite movie will be a more modern one that I watch with my kids, 'The Santa Clause,' with Tim Allen.

It's a Wonderful Life, The Year Without a Santa Claus (the one with Snow Mizer and Heat Mizer) and of course, "How the Grinch stole Christmas" (the cartoon). I still cry at the end. As my chronological age has advanced, I like to include Christmas in Connecticut and Miracle on 34th Street into the mix. And I'll admit it - since those who read my stuff here know I like romance - I do, on occasion, watch a cheesy Hallmark Channel Christmas romance movie. I can hear the groans now. 

[On a side note, I saw AT&T do a riff on Rudolf from the original movie for a commercial recently - totally pissed me off. Leave the classics alone, and don't mess with Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer. He's not a shill for your crappy, overpriced cell service. Bah, humbug to you, AT&T.]

Merry Christmas, everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

I have three favorite Christmas movies/specials. In order of preference:

1. Miracle on 34th Street (original 1947 release)

2. It's a Wonderful Life (1946 release)

3. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000 release; Jim Carrey)

Those who know me wonder why, if I identify so much with the Grinch, it isn't first on my list. Keep wondering!